Monday, October 3, 2011

Roy's Restaurant Review

When I found out my Dad was coming to visit me in Baltimore, I knew exactly where to take him for dinner: Roy's, the Hawaiian Fusion restaurant in Harbor East.  Why?
  1. The restaurant is in close proximity to the hotel downtown he would stay at.
  2. My Dad is lactose-intolerant and extremely picky.  Since there used to be a Roy's in Philadelphia, I knew he had been there and liked it.
  3. They have a gluten free menu.
  4. THEY HAVE A GLUTEN FREE MENU that is slightly too expensive for me to try on my own dime.
So, it was set.  I made a note on the OpenTable reservation that we would have 1 gluten-free diner and 1 lactose-free diner.  When we arrived, I reminded them of said note, and they were already prepared!

I was flabbergasted when they presented me a menu as fancy-looking as the 'regular' menu, and with several pages of items to boot.  At first I was sure they had given me a regular menu, but no, it was just for us non-gluten-eating folks!

I sipped on a delicious and perfectly-alcoholic mojito as I ordered: I'd start with the Teppanyaki Seared Tiger Shrimp Sticks and have the Teppanyaki Mahi Mahi  (I think...It was some sort of white fish, at least) for my entrĂ©e.

The shrimp appetizer was awesome.  I don't recall there being any sticks, or anything that resembled a stick, but this was a couple weeks ago and I just remember liking it a lot.  I don't know what appetizer my dad got, because it was not gluten-free and thus, I didn't care.

The mahi-mahi was good, but too salty.  It came with a side of white rice and roasted potatoes...although on the menu it said it came with lobster risotto.  I mentioned it to the server--but didn't make a big deal--and he brought me out some lobster 'risotto' anyway!  (Turns out the item had changed on the regular menu, but they forgot to re-print it on the g/f one.)  The risotto was definitely not what I had in mind, however: There were a few yummy chunks of lobster, but I'm still not sure what the cold, cubed startch it sat in was.  My dad ordered his Grilled Salmon g/f so I could have some, and we both really enjoyed that dish.

I made sure to save some room for the g/f Melting Hot Chocolate SoufflĂ©, and holy crap it was good.  I'm not even a chocolate-lover, but I was sad when I came to the last bite.  Seriously, I'm considering going back and just getting that cake.

Of Special Note
<> Roy's offers very reasonably-priced [validated] valet parking (I think $5).
<> You can find the gluten-free menu on their website, by clicking location --> cuisine --> local menus & 
     'Download Gluten Free Menu PDF'.  It appears that it changes by season.

No comments:

Post a Comment