Tuesday, November 29, 2011

November Guest Blogger recipe: Hot Virginia Dip

This month's guest recipe comes to us from Marion V., a University of Maryland dietetic intern and fairly new 'tweeter' (follow her here).  This recipe is a healthier version of a fun hot [as in warm, not spicy] dip! If you're like me and don't know what 'minced dried beef' is or how to make it, leave a note in the comments or shout out to Marion on twitter.  -->

Hot Virginia Dip
-->
Greetings All, Marion here, serving as November’s guest blogger for bMoreGlutenFree.  I seem to be just sneaking in at the end of the month – I’m sure bMore is delighted about that one! Let me start off by saying that I grew up on quite a strict diet of hot pockets, pasta with butter, Snapple (lemon, of course), and bagels.  Now that I’m a little bit older and just a little bit wiser, I’ve upgraded to a more colorful diet.  But for this post I wanted to bring one of my old favorites to Baltimore so that you all have something delicious to whip up for the upcoming holiday parties.  I must also mention that I’m a dietitian-to-be, so it’s my personal preference to modify my recipes! While I’m sure you’d like to see the full-fat version of this dip, the modified version is just as delicious and saves over 200 Calories per serving.  I’ll take that! 

While I don’t know the origin of this dip, I can only assume that it’s from Virginia.  (But you know what they say about those who assume.) We used to make it with sour cream, but a few years ago I started using non-fat Greek yogurt and the difference is unnoticeable.  It’s super easy and is always a crowd pleaser.  Serve with vegetables or gluten-free crackers.
 

Ingredients

  • 1 c. chopped pecans
  • 2 tsp. butter (I used Smart Balance, light)
  • 16 oz. non-fat cream cheese, softened
  • 4 tbsp. non-fat milk
  • 4 tsp. minced onion
  • 3 oz. minced dried beef, rinsed
  • 1 tsp. garlic powder 
  • 1 c. non-fat plain Greek yogurt

Directions
  1. Sauté pecans in butter until brown, about 5 min. on medium heat. Reserve for later.  
  2. Mix other ingredients thoroughly. 
  3. Place in 1 1/2 quart baking dish and top with pecans. Chill until serving time. 
  4. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Serve hot! 
[It’s easiest to make this (steps 1-3) the night before your party & chill it until you’re ready.]
I wish I could say that I came up with this recipe myself, but I have to give credit to my cousin's family on her dad’s side.  They’re from Virginia, of course.